And here's the news with Kirigo Ng'arua



We caught up with the new kid on the news-reading block Kirigo Ng'arua of Citizen TV and spent some time trying to get to know more about her.
Here's what she had to say...

Izvipi: Who is Kirigo?
Kirigo: A fun loving person who is very shy and strictly private. She keeps to herself all the time and loves her space too much. She is outgoing around the people she knows and she loves laughing. She is a go-getter.
How long have you been presenting news?
I clocked a year on May 25
You were first on HOT 96, what made you move?
Yes I was. It's not something I ever thought of but someone saw something in me. That person was Mike Okinyi, a sports anchor at Citizen. He wanted me as a female sports anchor but my boss thought otherwise. I did the screen test and she liked what she saw so she decided to grant me the opportunity to read the news and so far so good.
You had a radio stint in the US?
That was back in 2008. I was lucky to work for a radio channel called G105 in North Carolina. It falls under the biggest media conglomerate in the world known as Clear Channel 1. That was a fantastic time! 2008 was my best year since I learnt so much from those guys and I would go back in a heartbeat. They are so passionate and strict about how things are done there. It makes Kenyan radio look like a big joke. But there are a few stations that have the
same line of thought as G105.
How does it feel being labeled one of the hottest women on Kenyan TV?
I have been labelled that? You are telling me that now. If that's the case, I am very humbled. Extremely humbled.
You are what we call a triple threat. You have brains, voice and beauty. How cool is that?
Hee hee... Triple threat, that sounds so neat and I appreciate the compliment... Wait, it's a compliment right?
Yes it is. Do you think many female news anchors are just face?
No they are not... It's a stereotype. We are a bright bunch out here. I read a lot, practically read everything...

How do you handle your new celebrity status?
Come on, if you call me a celebrity what will we call Diddy? I am not one. I always say that mine is a job like any other. Its just that you see me on TV looking all pretty but imagine it’s a job like any other only you are not exposed to the millions of people who log into your site.
I am not a celebrity. The day I own a yacht and build a school maybe you can call me and ask me this question.

Who are your role models?
I don’t think I want to emulate someone cause I want to leave a legacy. But people I admire, my mother for her strength. She is one strong woman. Dr Eddah Gachukia. Woman believes in the girl child more than anyone I have met.
Then there is Gloria Steinem, the first American feminist. She is the one of the reasons we women have been able to get this far. She fought for our rights. Hala Gorani of CNN, I love how she does her job, full of energy and Anderson Cooper. He has been through so much in life and whenever he tells a story you can tell that he is passionate about what he is doing and what he is saying.

What inspires you?
The dream to be the best and succeed in life. By succeed I do not mean in monetary terms, all I want in life is to be happy, healthy and joyful. The money will come in later. That simply inspires me.

Pet peeves?
Untidiness. Guys who cannot spell right when sending a text, that thing pisses me off and guys who chew their nails.